The father of a child born out of wedlock can acknowledge the paternity of his child for the purpose of the birth certificate and he will then be entered on the birth certificate of the child.
If you wish to acknowledge the paternity of a child, you must appear in person and bring the following documents with you:
- Valid photo identification
- Birth certificate
- Certificate of citizenship (passport in the case of foreign nationals)
- Any proof of degrees or official titles (e.g., Ing.)
- If the father of the child is underage (under the age of 18), his legal representative/guardian must consent to the acknowledgement of paternity.
- If the child is not the biological child of the mother’s husband, an acknowledgement with the biological father can be recorded at the time of the initial certification of the child. (Only applies to children with Austrian citizenship.)
- The presentation of a German translation prepared by an Austrian, sworn translator is required for foreign certificates.
- The registry office is gladly at your disposal for further information.