As of 1 November 2014, a death (issuance of a death certificate) can be certified at any Austrian registry office. This official procedure is normally handled by an undertaker.
In addition to the death report issued by a medical institution or physician, the following documents of the deceased person are required for the issuance of the death certificate:
If the deceased person was unmarried:
- Birth certificate or birth and baptism certificate
- Certificate of citizenship or certificate of eligibility from the native country or except from the municipal register from the native country (passport or identity card for foreign nationals)
- Any proof of a degree or official titles
If the deceased person was married:
- Additionally: Marriage certificate
If the deceased person was divorced or widowed:
- Additionally: Divorce decree or death certificate of the spouse
Following certification of a death, the Main Association of Social Security Institutions as well as the probate court of the main residence will be notified electronically. The de-registration will also be implemented in the central civil register.